CARMEN M. CARTER, M.S., PHR
Over 20 Years Business & Industry Experience Including Leadership Roles In Fortune Companies
Energy, financial Services, Manufacturing, Food Services, Academia, Non-profit, Government, Community-Based, Media, Management Consulting
Just-in-Time HR & Diversity Business Partner hired to work with leaders to design, direct, and execute full cycles of complex, multi-site human resource, compliance and diversity frameworks, conduct assessments, investigations, DOL audits, Affirmative Action Plans (Establishment & Functional), and interface with external agencies. Accounting & HR professional highly skilled in HR analytics. Seasoned interpreter of government regulations, Fair Employment Practices, Uniform Guidelines, Title VII,. charge In-take interviews and fact-finding investigations, including priority charge handling, statistical analysis, preparation of recommendations and position statements for Corporate General Counsels, EEOC Staff Attorneys, and investigative units. Dynamic trainer and public speaker.
- Planned, led and closed client DOL audits and mitigated risk to > $1.8 Billion in government contract revenue.
- Forged external relationships in community and developed enterprise-wide diversity strategies to attract, recruit, and retain talent for cost savings of $6M.
- Developed “On Demand” system to mitigate compliance risk, reduce cycle time, identify talent pipelines, gaps, and areas of risk by at least 50% within the first 90 days.
- Developed and implemented 1 sustainable competency-based mentoring program to increase diversity in recruiting and talent pipelines, and still achieving results today (10 years later).
- Created and implemented the1st Employer EEO & AA Internal Audit and Reporting System (Compliance Center of Excellence) resulting in annual compliance training, 100% audit rate (at desk audit phase), 24-month DOL audit moratorium, recruitment compliance, applicant tracking system, compensation equity, and mitigation of risk to > $3.8 Billion.
Education & Certifications
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, WI - Masters in Industrial & Labor Relations / M.S. (With Honors) Thesis: Diversity and the Empirical Structure of Affirmative Action & Implications for Human Resources
- Jackson State University - Jackson, MS - B.S. Accounting (With Honors)
- HR Certification Institute – Professional in Human Resources (PHR) ¨ Development Dimensions International – Certified Trainer / Targeted Selection Facilitator
- University of Phoenix – Certified Faculty (Graduate & Undergraduate School of Business)
Honors & Affiliations
- International Mentoring Association - Board of Directors (2002 - 2010
- Who’s Who in Black Houston (2007) / Texas Diversity in Leadership Award (2006
- Rolling Out Magazine – 40 Under 40 (2006) /YMCA Minority Achiever (2004)
- Federation of Houston Professional Women – Woman of Excellence (2003)
- Diversityinc.com - Corporate America’s Top Diversity Leader Profile (2002)
- Leadership Houston Class XXI
Presentations & Publications (Select List)
- Carter. Diversity on Demand – Implementing Talent Management & Inclusive Recruiting Strategies. 2012.
- Carter. Diversity Unleashed – Working Together United in Purpose. 2011
- Carter. The Inclusion Mindset. 2010.
- Carter. Discrimination, Lies, & the EEOC. 2008
- Carter. Developing a Recruiting Strategy – Easy as 1-2-3. 2007.
- Carter. Do It Yourself Diversity. 2007.
- Carter. Bridging the Racial Divide. 2006.
- Carter. Affirmative Action & Diversity – What Every Manager Should Know About EEO Compliance. 2005. Carter. Inside Diversity – What You Don’t Know Could Really Help You. 2005.
- Carter. Affirmative Action and Diversity – The House Divided. 2004.
- Carter. Multicultural Talent Development – A Blueprint for Inclusion. 2003.